Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Music that Moves Me

This essay is also a tricky one for me to write. Showtunes are generally my go-to tune, but there are two different albums that have completely changed the way I look at my life. Hurr wee goh:

-Hospital Music by Matthew Good: Matthew Good was diagnosed with bipolar disorder after overdosing on pain killers in his shower and being admitted to hospital. During his time in the hospital, he wrote this hauntingly beautiful album. The songs are written in such a way that you really feel what he was going through. His lyrics are beautiful, and the songs stay with you for a long time after you listen to them. See here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3yISjGHGQo to get an inkling. Not only is he Canadian (ten points for you, glen coco), his music can actually speak to you. Is this not what music is for? Especially since I have some morbid obsession with psychiatric hospitals (see my Useless Knowledge essay), this entire album just amazes me, regardless of how many times I listen to it. His website used to have an entire illustrated history of his struggle with bipolar disorder and included the backstories of a few of his songs, but it got deleted when he released his new album. While I wish I could include this to give you a little more information about how complex this album really is, I can't. So just trust me, k?

-Jackson Square by Arkells: they are from Hamilton. I've lived in Hamilton my entire life and love this city more than I can admit. Arkells went to Mac and lived on Arkell street (woo, famous!). While (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I did my research) none of the members of the band are originally from Hamilton, they found the beauty in the smog and dust that I've been trying to explain to people for the past few years. They wrote an entire album dedicated to/inspired by the city of Hamilton, and I am so happy. "Abigail" is based on an overheard conversation in the Jackson Square food court and "Oh, The Boss is Coming!" is based on working at East Side Mario's in University Plaza, for example.  While most of this album deals with relationships and life at university (Mac wooo!), it still gives you a perfect taste of being a teenager/"young adult"/almost-grown-up and how this is affected by life in Hamilton. I also listened to this album during one of my favourite summers, and the songs all have happy memories associated with them for me. Furthermore, my extremely drunk boyfriend decided that "I'm not the sun" was our song one night. All in all, one of my favourite albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment