Tuesday, May 31, 2011

One Book Everyone Should Read

Sweet baby Jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt, this essay is going to be tricky business. Not only am I very indecisive, I am certain that I've read four times my weight in books (in case you're wondering, that's a LOT). So, instead of writing a nice essay about one book you should read, I'll write about several different categories from which everyone should read at least one book.

-A book so painful to read that it takes you several years, a bottle of tylenol, a mental break and a few tears to finish it: I'm a firm believer in finishing what you start when it involves books. Usually the painful books teach the best lessons. Examples: it took me three years and four attempts to finish Wuthering Heights (sheer boredom and despising Catherine and Heathcliff did not make this easier); Blindness by Jose Saramago (I hated the book so much that I have no idea if that is how you spell the author's last name) took me over a year to read because I found it extremely dull; and I had a book from the library for so long because I couldn't finish/start it that I had to pay 30 dollars in overdue fees (that's two years of fees, FYI). My grandma said that, in boarding school, her teachers insisted that even awful books should be finished. She said that her teachers told her that reading painful books make you appreciate good books even more, and that this process teaches you willpower and diligence. My eleven-year-old self did not approve of this as she returned several unfinished library books. However, forcing myself to read painful/difficult books has taught me a lot. I realized that translations can be awful if said translation is not done properly, sometimes the most difficult books are the best (Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite books), and that sometimes the overdue fees are worth it (finishing the two-year-overdue book really made me appreciate the importance of due dates and keeping your bank account stocked with some contingency money). 

- An historical fiction : I hate historical fiction. There, I said it. I hate hate hate it. However, in grade ten I had to read one for a project, and I managed to find one that I liked enough to endure (The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak, is meant for thirteen year olds but I still recommend it to everyone because it is just that great. He has quite a nice style. Back to the topic now.). Although I generally don't enjoy this genre, there is nothing quite like feeling emerged in the time period and actually "experiencing" what life was like for the characters (and would have been for you). Because of historical fiction, I learned that I would never like to be a geisha or someone in Nazi Germany. I feel like that, along with learning about what other time periods could have been like, is a valuable lesson. 

-Books from those lists of books you "should" read: these lists, found in great quantities online, in magazines, and through StumbleUpon, usually feature books that you may not feel like reading. They are generally full of classics, modern classics, banned books, and books you were forced to read for school. You may groan when you see these lists (I used to; I was too cool for school and didn't like some librarian telling me what to do) and may not want to read these piles of books because someone says you should. However, I generally find that there are good reasons that you "should" read these books. They're usually considered classics for a reason, and aside from Blindness (see above), I have yet to be disappointed by a librarian's recommendation. Speaking of recommendations, see below. 


-Your best friend's/mom's/dad's/brother's/sister's/uncle's/hairdresser's/librarian's/teacher's/meat vendor's/Cutco© salesperson's favourite book: while the book that said person recommends may not be something you necessarily jump at the chance to read, I find that recommendations generally give you a most excellent opportunity to get a great insight into the person's inner workings. I think books contribute many opinions, thoughts and morals to a person's mind, and reading a book that they love or that has changed their life in a major way shows you a side of them they may not feel comfortable showing. I do my most thinking while I'm reading and in the shower. Because you can't share a shower with someone (...?), I find that sharing books is the best way to learn a little bit more about your favourite person. 

-Your favourite Childhood book: This may technically be a book that you'll be re-reading, but I still included it in the list (mad rebellion up in hurr). Reading a book you used to love will remind you of so many old memories you had, what you used to love and things you used to find challenging to understand, find funny, etc. Because my fingers and brain cells are getting bored, I'll let you figure out why you should do this (retrospection, recollection, reminding, and other things that start with r. Rainbows?)


Because I've blabbered on for long enough, if you want to know more about me you can read this list of books below. A few of these may or may not be from my childhood (that, or I'm embarrassed to admit that I just read them a few days ago).
-The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
-The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)
-Wuthering Heights 
-1984
-Slaughterhouse Five
-A Clockwork Orange
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
-Eve's Apple
-Perks of being a Wallflower
-Away (Jane Urquhart)
-The Underpainter (Jane Urquhart)
-Memoirs of a Geisha
-Lake of Dead Languages (Don't remember who wrote this one)
-Girl, Interrupted
-Monkey Taming
-It's Kind of a Funny Story
-Water for Elephants
-Lord of the Flies
-Dubliners


Plz note plz: there are mucho more books I have read and loved. I don't remember them right now. Bye now, kthx.

No comments:

Post a Comment