Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Kids' stuff that's STILL AWESOME


Kids stuff that’s still awesome

As I am currently babysitting for the summer and have been told I have the brain, diet and humour of an eight year old boy, I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert regarding kids' stuff. Here is an extensive list of the things that are socially acceptable for five year olds and why you should enjoy them too.
  • Picking your nose: I know you do it. I know that every human being has or does. When I was eight I was teased for picking my nose. I was embarrassed, but I should have wiped it in the kid’s face and jerseyed him. Picking your nose is satisfying and it feels great to breathe. I know you do it. There’s no need to be shy. We all know it’s fun/worthwhile.
  • Naptime: I LOVE NAPS. They mess up your sleep schedule and sometimes you fall asleep at 4pm and wake up at 2am ready to seize the day, but nothing feels better than a nap when you’re exhausted. It’s nice to get cuddly on a rainy day, read a book and doze.
  • Colouring
  • Collecting rocks
  • Believing in Santa and writing him letters
  • Climbing trees
  • Party hats
  • Getting really dirty and not caring
  • Playing
  • Slushies
  • Board games
  • Pokemon
  • Spongebob
  • Bubble baths with toys
  • Cuddling
  • Holding someone’s hand when you cross the street
  • Playing Pretend: one thing I regret in my life is losing my imagination. I feel like school is made to train it out of us, and this makes me very sad. When I was four I could amuse myself for hours with a table and a blanket. I would be on a space journey, living in a cabin in the woods, in the stomach of a zebra, hiding from a kidnapper, etc. I’ve lost this and it makes me really sad.
  • Crafts: I love finger paint, making things out of clay, and construction paper. When I babysit, I often have more fun that the kids I’m watching. One of my best friends and I skipped our on previous plans to stay in and make earrings out of clay and paint. Nothing is more fun and relaxing than good ol’ arts and crafts.
  •  Birthday parties and loot bags
  • Braiding your friend’s hair
  • Baking cookies with dad
  • Growing taller
  • Kool aid
  • Staying in your pyjamas all day
  • Making forts
  • Running through a sprinkler on a hot day
  • Dunkaroos
  • Ice cream and waffle
  • Sitting on a really high chair and dangling your feet
  • Snowball fights
  • Kids combos at the movie theatre
  • Candy
  • Poptarts
  • Icing straight from the jar
  • Sleepovers at Grandma’s house
  • Asking people “are we there yet?” when you know you’re nowhere close
  • Jumping in leaves
  • Baskets on bicycles
  • When people bring cupcakes to school on their birthday
  • Kinder surprises
  • Cumball machines
  • Skipping rope
  • Blowing bubbles
  • Shirley temples
  • Bedtime stories
  • Playing with your food
  • New pencil cases with all new sharpened pencils
  • Beads
  • Safety scissors (So colourful and safe!)
  • Happy meals (Just enough food AND A TOY!)
  • Catching bugs
  • Fake food
  • Grass stains
  • Cartoon character bandaids
  • Pressing flowers
  • Easy bake ovens.

Go do all of these right now. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment